Thursday, May 4, 2017

Just Finished - Is It Any Good At All?

One of the benefits of reading your work aloud to a Writing Group is that the feedback you receive is, in my experience, and from what I have observed with others, supportive and kind.  If you receive an enthusiastic reaction, then your colleagues are happy either with the result, or with your progress, or enthusiasm or courage - or something. Maybe a couple of those things together at the same time.

And, if the members of the group, especially but not necessarily only the experienced published members, say you should submit it and, even better, name the place to submit it to, then you can have some confidence that the result is competitive in the marketplace, even if the market pay is publishing it for zero dollars.


On the other hand, when an experienced person gives you an assignment for actual publication in, admittedly, a small chain of community newspapers and 'only' 500 words, and you struggle for uncountable hours writing the so-and-so thing, and the type of assignment is our of your 'comfort zone' (even if it's false comfort), then there is real-world anxiety.


Is it any good?  Sorry it's so late.  I know it's not exactly what you expected (ain't that the truth). I hope I didn't let you down.  I'm not at all sure it's any good at all - not just below par, you understand, but maybe not any good at all.


I've been working on it so focused over so many hours, I can't tell any more.


I guess what I'm saying is that if you feel this way, you're not alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home