Thursday, April 20, 2017

Voice 2

I am slowly, inevitably slowly I think, discovering that I may have a 'voice'.  That when I write, you could tell it was Bob writing, not Faulkner, or Fitzgerald or Alice Munro.  Uh huh.  

After many years of writing in a business communication context, where the objective was neutrality of person - meaning, I represented the organization, not Bob -- and clarity of message, I worked hard without knowing it at eliminating my voice.  It was, I suppose, RoboBob.  Worked pretty well too.


But [never begin a sentence with 'but'], as I write, I find that my own voice does begin to emerge. And, I am persuaded that my voice is as legitimate and important as anyone else's voice.

 
Not my skill, of course.  Big difference.  [Always write in complete sentences.]  Neither Stephen King nor Jo (her close friends call her Jo) Rowling are not looking over their shoulders yet.  My skill is novice enthusiast. Working at it, though.


Some days are diamond, some days are stone.  OK, I stole that.  (T. S. Eliot once famously said: "Good writers borrow, great writers steal."  


That can't be true, can it?  I don't think you can steal a voice and still be worth reading.  


Keep working on your own voice.  Your Group will recognize it when they hear the authentic you read your latest struggling attempt out loud.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home