Friday, April 21, 2017

What are your goals Part 2?

Reading, either on purpose or by accident just surfing or browsing or previewing books or articles I may or may not have wanted to read in full, I happened upon the trigger for my own writing goal.  At least the one I have at present.  

Having a goal truly makes a difference, both in what I write, how I write, what I write about and so on, but it also provides me with a ready model for the level of quality I want to aspire to.  And, it provides me with the kind of comfort I would not otherwise have trying to follow everyone's advice for what to do and how to do it.  


It's hard to know what advice to follow when you don't know what your goal is.  If you're like me, you end up doing everything and nothing.  You're all over the place with seldom feeling right about your decisions.  


After reading this poem by Norma West Linder, I knew my goal was to write pieces that, if people happened upon them, many would be glad they had the opportunity to read them. You may find it helpful to find your own model for what you would like to achieve - T.S. Eliott or Dr. Seuss or Mario Puzo or Danielle Steele or James Patterson or Alice Munro or Norma West Linder.


Roll Back the Years

To feel thirteen again
fill your pockets with wild rose petals
leave them there to dry
To feel thirteen again
go to the beach
flop down on a cold wet towel
on burning sand
open your ears to the waves
to the cries of children and seagulls
eat a bologna sandwich
on white bread smeared with mustard
To feel thirteen again
colour your restaurant place mat
make the trees purple, the sky green
Throw a snowball
at a passing stranger
Learn to play the guitar
Wish on the first star
Avoid mirrors
             – Norma West Linder
This poem spoke to me and I am glad I read it.  I'm happy to share it with you.  On top of all that, it helped steer my own course.

Not that it needs to steer yours, naturally.  But you may find some other piece that speaks to you and helps you get your arms around your direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home