Sunday, April 16, 2017

Voice

It is great to be a novice at something again.  Something I'm interested in, that is.  I would also be a novice at auto mechanics, but have no motivation to overcome that distinct shortcoming.  I read a fair bit, some light entertainment and some fairly serious 'literature', so I have at least a half an idea what good writing looks like sometimes.  

Famous authors. World beaters.  Kings and queens of the hill.

In one of my first few weeks in the Writers' Group, though, I have been in the company of accomplished and published authors who have yet to make their first gazillion dollars 

Or be the question to a statement on Jeopardy.  

My goodness these people can write.  So, filled with totally justifiable self-doubt, I spoke out loud: "What am I doing here?  I could never write that [whatever latest example of compelling expertise].  "No, no" they said. You can't look t it that way.  "You can't write with somebody else's voice and compare yourself.  Once you start to write with your own voice, some people, or maybe a lot of people, will want to read you."

My own voice?  "What might that be?" I wondered.  


[To be continued]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home