Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Art Is Long And Life Is Short

This aphorism (and you thought I didn't know big words) originally meant something like 'It takes a very long time to learn a particular discipline and there is so little time left to practice it' or, perhaps, 'A work of art lasts longer than a human life.' 

Grace Paley, I'm told and intend to find out soon for myself, wrote wonderful short stories.  When she was asked why she had not published as many stories, poems and essays as she might have, she responded "Art is too long and life is too short" by which she meant she was also a wife, mother teacher, feminist activist, anti-war demonstrator, and so forth.


All of these perspectives on the phrase strike me as true.  At the same time, it is also true that I wake up many mornings thinking 'That's the word I should have used' or 'Will I never get this so and so thing finished?', or 'Maybe if I wrote it this way instead'.


In a conversation she had with Auden when she was 17, Grace Paley discovered, through his kind feedback to her on some of the poems she had written, not to imitate, to find your own voice as a writer.  This seems to be a constant message (OK, sermon) from established writers of all kinds.


Art is long; life is short; use your own voice.  OK, OK, I get it. 

Now, back to that newspaper article I'm writing.  I'm actually making some progress.  

First, I will give our five-year-old grandson a bath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home