Monday, May 1, 2017

The Statute of Limitations Must Have Run Out By Now

I think I can admit this now without serious fear of prosecution.  When I was attending university, Sandra and I were married.  We had no money and rent to pay.  I had a classmate (Hi George.  Wonder what you're up to now.) who had a hot car and lived in the best (OK, not so much but still the best) hotel in this smallish university city.  And, as a mark of incredible sophistication for the time, he drank red wine that had an actual name.

What George didn't have was a lot of attention to his actual schoolwork. He almost always found himself with an essay due in a week, no idea how to start it, let alone do it or complete it, and no inclination to find out.

So, over a glass of named red wine - in the middle of the day no less - he asked if I could 'help' him with his essay.  "Help" meaning write it for him.  For $50.  Not exactly a princely sum even for the time, but a welcome amount.

So, I wrote that one and many more following that one.  I got so I could actually write to the grade level he wanted - usually a "B".  "Don't make it too good" he'd say.

The one I recall writing was "The History of Art" during some specified time period.  I remember the process of doing it because I had, personally, no more real idea of the History of Art after writing the essay than before putting typewriter (yes) to paper.

It was an assignment.  I got the "B" he wanted and got the essay to him on time.  By nature, I am inclined to demand an "A" of myself.  And, as an executive in a past life, I learned how to meet deadlines at the same time.  It may also be a personality disorder.  

I tell you all this only because I just missed my deadline on my newspaper article assignment and, while I am finally making progress and it may turn out to be an "A" in my own head, it won't be exactly what was asked for.

I am simultaneously grateful for the opportunity to do this work and angry with myself for not meeting my 'deadline' standard.  My sponsor and editor said "OK".  


Now I absolutely have to get an "A".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home