Friday, May 5, 2017

If a Poem Falls in the Forest

Another good reason to belong to a Writers' Group, mine at least, is they help me think.  

For instance, how do you reconcile writing based on your own 'self', using your own unique perspective and voice and, at the same time, meet an objective such as mine?  "When someone happens upon my words, they are glad they paused and read them."


Two of my thoughts are:


  1. I am worth knowing
  2. Some of what I know, feel or believe may be useful for you

There was animated group discussion around who we write for (for whom we write).  You need to write only for yourself, not so that everyone else will like it, which is impossible anyway, said most of the group.

(Formula fiction, with their predictable narrative templates that have been used so often they are easily recognized, is outside the boundaries of this discussion.  It is a whole different thing.  God bless those who do it, may they make a million dollars, but it is not what those here do.)


So, there needs to be both less and more to my objective for my own writing.  Let's try this: "When some people happen upon my words, they get to know some of my authentic thoughts, feelings and ideas better and are glad they have done so, even if they disagree."


Really, who's going to tell me that Shakespeare wrote only for himself?  "Look for me tomorrow and you will find me a grave man."  Give me a break.


My answer to the question is -- the falling tree produces sound waves.  How nice for the tree. Whoop dee doo.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home