Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Wonderful Thing About Hanging

As Samuel Johnson is reported to have said, “Depend upon it, Sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.” 

I can now report the same thing, for me, may be said about preparing to make your first story submission.

Mr Writers' Group thought the story was good.  Check.  A prominent member of the WG suggested an online magazine.  Check.  I polished it a little bit with a quick update since it is a Trump satire.  Check.  

And I removed a small section - those who know me would know it was affectionate ribbing, not a bigoted attack.  Those who do not know me would send the vigilantes with a rope.  So, obvious lesson #1, don't rely on your personal reputation for assumed civility.  It was the reality of submitting the story outside my WG that brought this mundane insight to my brain with lightning bolts.  Another check.

Lesson #2 was that it is a satire of Donald Trump.  The same Donald Trump who likes to sue people.  

I will submit another story because now I think I'm ready.  Ready but chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home