Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Newsflash: Writing is Hard Work

And frustrating. And annoying. And, from time to time, the best thing ever.

Famously, Hemmingway once said; 
or Hemmingway once famously said; 
or Hemmingway once said famously: 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."

If you read the books of advice to writers, the process seems as though it should be so orderly; or at least describable.

It ain't.  At least not for me.  Not if I am trying to write something true.  Or surprising.  Or something that someone, if they happened to come upon in accidentally, would say "You know, I'm glad I saw that and read it."

Just trying to get most things finished, a short story or a chapter or whatever, is hard.  So far, with me, it is an iterative process --  I begin with excellent intentions and finish with something that looks only vaguely like what I started out to do.

Often, though, better.  Not always, but often.

To paraphrase another Hemmingway quote, this from 'A Moveable Feast': Do not worry.  You have written before, and you will write again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home