Saturday, June 17, 2017

About Over-thinking 1

Along this journey of my renewing my writing, I have found a few side roads that look interesting, travelled down some of them and was variably happy for the trip or grumpy about what I saw as wasting time.  There are also billboards advertising the what they say is the right answer.  Notwithstanding my staying away from those that sound like snake oil miracle cures, I have nevertheless discovered few that stand up to any kind of cross-examination.  Some of the pronouncements were even worse.  Not only do they usually lack any semblance of rigour, they strike me as some combination of mysterious, imprecise and hairbrained.

The best of the lot by far so far has been Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg.  She has the impeccable good grace to say the reader may find some counsel in one place that seems to contradictory advice in another place.

I am trying to absorb that as an observation that is of any real use to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home