Thursday, June 1, 2017

Chasing Two -- or More-- Rabbits

To say I have given up any pretence of writing this blog in some logical explicative order would be overstating the situation, my motivation, my hope to be helpful, and a personality earned and celebrated by my ego over many years.   

In that spirit, though, let's get back to "Why Join a Writers Group". Confucious is reported to have declared "The man who chases two rabbits catches neither."  

Here is one strong reason that will apply to everyone: You will learn something, something you value, something critical to your technique or mental health, that you would have been extraordinarily fortunate to have learned any other way.

For example, one experienced WG participant suggested "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg as a useful book for an aspiring writer.  I read an excerpt online, thought it was more or less hippie-dippie hoo-haw but, eventually brought home a copy of the book. Without her recommendation, and especially after having read the online excerpt, the likelihood of my reading it would be zero per cent in one million years.

Let me tell you, I now have no hesitation in shouting that this is one very valuable book for new and renewing (and, I'm guessing, all) writers.  Do I agree with, or even relate to, everything in it?  Nope.  Not by a long shot.  Not yet anyway.

At the same time, certain of Natalie's observations fall on my head from high above like a ton of exclamation points.  

Yes, yes, that's me.  That's how I feel. That's what I have been trying to put into words.  So that's what that means.  Ah yes, I get that.  So I won't worry about that anymore so much, it's normal.  Etc.

The point here is not to read good old Nat's book (read it!) but that your WG colleagues, if you let them, will bring you a little cool water along your hot journey.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home