Friday, February 12, 2021

Alice Munro, Runaway and Possibilities

 

When I finished reading Love of a Good Woman a while ago, my thought about all the stories was that they were excellent. A+. Take this one book if stranded on a desert island. There was at least one story that required courage to re-read. Just so powerful. A++.
 
I decided to read another collection, Runaway. And my reaction in places was just as strong. Goodness she can write. It makes me feel privileged and small just to be allowed to join Alice Munro in her stories. One story in particular, ‘Powers’, took me over. I’m not sure how else to say that. 
 
Apart from my experience as a reader, her stories inform me as a writer. When I see and feel the artistry she brings to her work, I can also see and feel that there are more possibilities in writing than I am yet unable to envision let alone capture for myself. It’s not that I will ever be as ‘good’ as Alice Munro (In 2001, The Atlantic said, “Alice Munro is the living writer most likely to be read in a hundred years.”) It is that I have my own miles to go; and that, if I keep working at it, my own journey is both unpredictable and possible.
 
Alice Munro didn’t set herself the goal of being a short story writer. She wanted to write ‘sprawling novels”. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/12/a-quiet-genius/302366/
 
While here I am tripping around on the ground on my mundane options (Do I begin the story with a bang? Chronological order? Narrator intrusion? First person? Nonlinear?) I have learned a few things along the way that have made me better. I look back on some of my early stories and think, “Whatever made me think that would work?” I react to other stories with, “That was an interesting idea. Good try, Bob. Might even be fixable.”
 
Reading artists with strong individual voices, such as Alice Munro, can encourage us to strive for our own possibilities. Ones we can’t even now picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home