Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Author Intrusion


One of the many advantages of participating actively in your local writing group -- besides the usually cited examples of associating with like-minded individuals who actually understand the magnitude of your triumphs and defeats; the pure social experience for writers who spend most if their time in solitary pursuits, and so forth -- is that you can actually learn something.

For instance, a few days ago someone used the phrase 'author intrusion' (which is a lovely-sounding phrase even without knowing its meaning, don't you think?). I looked it up.

Someone (I think from https://penandthepad.com) says: "Authorial intrusion is My own memory a literary device where the author intentionally breaks from the narrative and addresses the reader directly. Used correctly, this device can create a relationship between the author and the reader adding an additional layer to the story. Used incorrectly, it becomes an annoying nuisance."

http://themanuscriptshredder.com, the site I recommend for a detailed explanation, says: "If you are writing in 1st person POV or deep 3rd, you shouldn't use authorial intrusion. 
My own positive memories include Tom Jones and how much I enjoyed Henry Fielding's interjections; and The Great Gatsby.

So now, I'm going to revisit my own Bugs in the Grass story and see if I can remedy my use of "Gentle Reader" author intrusion.

Right after I figure out what "deep 3rd" person is.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home